Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bans, Wasps and Apologies

Anyone whose followed this blog for any length of time will know that I whole-heartedly welcome this news regarding a proposed EU seal ban. Of course they will say that it isn't directed specifically at Inuit but at the end of the day a ban would definitely affect them. I'm sure this news has brought some gritting of teeth and hand ringing to some people, but then I see stories of some Europeans deliberately running with bulls and well...if your silly enough to do that I suppose a ban somehow makes some sort of sense.....

Seeing wasps in the High Arctic caught my attention though its something I've been aware of for the past 2 or 3 years, having seen them myself as well as some interesting pictures of them on a couple other northern blobs I frequent.

I also note with interest the federal government's apology for the forced relocation of Inuit families back in the 1950's. For me this wasn't just something I read about in history books. I got some sense of it all from my time spent in Arctic Bay, one of the communities affected by this bureaucratic decision. For anyone interested in more information, I highly recommend the book Tammarniit (Mistakes).

0 comments: