Thursday, April 15, 2010

From Long Ago

I absolutely love old black and white photos, particularly ones from Arctic places. They just have such a timeless quality to them. When I came across a batch of old photos while poking around online (thanks Clare) I just had to take a peak. If I'm not mistaken, these little gems are from the private collection of former RCMP officer Finley McInnes, who was posted to Pond Inlet in the 1920's. The collection is now housed in the archives of the University of Alberta. More photos can be viewed here. The photos below are from Arctic Bay and area and date from c1937.

I believe these are part of the St. George Society Cliffs in Adams Sound.



A view of Admiralty Inlet.



King George V Mountain -- a very familiar landmark



The old Hudson Bay Company post at Arctic Bay. I believe the original structure still stands in the town today.



This ship is the "Arctic". It was the first of 2 such-named ships to sale into the bay there.

2 comments:

Clare said...

I'm just tickled that I discovered the Finley McInnes fonds, and all the photos that are online.

Quick note of correction, Arctic Bay is actually named for another ship called the Arctic, a whaler which stayed in the area in the late 1800s.

Way Way Up said...

Thanks for the correction Clare.

And thanks for the birding help. I saw the bird yesterday afternoon that Lisa had mentioned to me and got a really good look at it through the field glasses. Most definitely a Slate-coloured Junco as I has strongly suspected. I've caught quite a few glimpses of him the past couple days. Now I just have to find where I packed away the food for our feeder.