Monday, March 29, 2010

Seabirds And Climate Change

This story caught my attention for a few reasons. Among them, the article references an area of Canada I used to live in, I have an interest in birds (though, admittedly I don't see many seabirds here in Northern Alberta) and it involves a hot button issue (and it's not like I never touch on those on this blog). Silly as this may seem, back before I had even given a thought to Nunavut, let alone considered spending 6 years of my life there, I remember being quite surprised to discover that there were birds of any kind there. Afterall, I knew there were few if any trees at that latitude so where exactly would all these birds supposed to nest? The answer of course is cliffs and rocky shorelines, which according to the above news report, are threatened by erosion brought on by climate change.

I know the debate here can get pretty vitriolic and I'd rather stay out of all the political silliness involved as well. I've included below a few pictures to give you an idea of what the shoreline looks along the south eastern coast of Baffin Island. I never had a chance to visit Qaquluit mentioned in the article but I did get down to Kingnelling Fiord, where these pictures were taken in the fall of 2004.







1 comments:

Melodie said...

Is it possible while some species may be threatened by global warming/change, that other species might find a new home in the Arctic, thus the wildlife and food available would simply be different?

Sometimes I feel guilty at enjoying bursts of heat waves and warm temps. I think all of Canada has had a pretty mild and dry winter. (I'm not counting the cold snap that Alberta and Sask. had in Dec. lol). But I felt like getting through the winter was made easier by less harsh weather (ESPECIALLY IT BEING DRY...ONTARIO IS TOO DANG WET HALF THE TIME).

So on the one hand I am loving global warming/change, and on the other I kind of feel bad for Arctic regions where this change seems to be having the greatest impact...