Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dave

Dave was a real character. His silly jokes and wacky sense of humour never failed to put a smile on my face. (His Elvis impersonations are without equal). I've known Dave for most of my life. When I was much younger, growing up in Campbellford, he dated my mother's younger sister. After awhile, my younger sisters and I began referring to him as Uncle Dave even though technically he wasn't. He was, and remains, the only non-relative I ever addressed by such familial terms. He livened up the house whenever he was around. It never mattered what mood you were in before Dave arrived, after he left you always felt energized and cheery and ready to tackle whatever challenges life would throw at you. I know I sure did. Even after Dave and my aunt parted ways, he remained "Uncle Dave". Dave was a great friend to my parents and was a big part of their wedding. He was just one of those people you grow up around feeling that they will be there forever. Which is why the news that he had passed away from a sudden heart attack early yesterday comes as a great shock.

It's really hard to know what to say......2 weeks to the day before Christmas and his wife Jean and 3 kids are without a husband and father. My thoughts and prayers go out to them during this time.

0 comments: