Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Christmas Tradition

One thing I've done over the holiday season for as long as I can remember is watching the World Junior Championships. Usually with a combination of luck and skill I can catch the bulk of the games on television. One year found me racing against time to get off my flight in Iqaluit and into my hotel just in time to watch the gold medal match between Canada and Sweden.

This year's tournament will be of interest to me for a couple of reasons. Not only will Canada be playing for a record-breaking 6th consecutive gold medal but the roster boasts 4 players from Windsor Spitfires. As a former Windsorite, I love it. I have to admit I haven't followed all the hype and analysis leading up to the tournament but the teams' one forward line of 3 Spitfires should turn some heads over the next several days. I'd beg, borrow or steal a ride to Saskatoon to catch some live matches if my fiance wouldn't disown me.

I'm happy to see that the 2012 tourney will be played here in Alberta! With luck I'll get down to Edmonton to catch a game with the kids. What a fantastic way to carry on a childhood tradition.

0 comments: