Monday, November 30, 2009

Just Grow A Brain And Apologize Already

In my last post I talked about how the former Premier violated the territory's Integrity Act when he solicited campaign donations from senior staffers during the 2008 election campaign. Now, the Assembly has accepted a report, by a vote of 11-3, calling upon the Premier to apologize or face sanctions of some sort. The story has been reported on by both CBC North and Nunatsiaq News. I can't say I'm surprised at the 3 MLA's who voted against accepting the report. Tagak Curley and Louis Taparjuk are part of Okalik's "Old Boy" Club and James Arvaluk is a convicted felon. How sad that the concept of integrity is lost on a former and a current Education Minister.

An apology would be the right thing to do. Unfortunately, Paul Okalik has too much of an ego for that. I actually laughed out loud when I read Okalik's quote in Nunatsiaq News - "It is a little difficult to follow the laws when they’re being applied after the fact.” This statement is a little hard to figure considering that Okalik was also the Justice Minister. Either he doesn't know his own laws or the man simply too arrogant to care.

0 comments: