Sunday, October 25, 2009

Small World

And now for a little lighter fare. While out furniture shopping not too long ago in Lac La Biche I bumped into a person from Fort Smith, where I started my teaching career. I mentioned that me and my girlfriend were new to the area and that I had worked all over the north. When he asked for some specific places, I rattled off a few. He stopped me when I mentioned Fort Smith. Turns out the salesman had spent some time there as an assistant manager of the Northern Store and our tenures roughly overlapped. I actually knew the manager there quite well as I had his son in my class. I worked with the manager's wife at the high school and at the end of the year we ended up moving on to other places with our careers.

This was the first time I had met someone from so far back in my career. Not only did I buy a nice living room set but we a good deal of time catching up on things. One of the things that continues to fascinate me about the North is that even though it is quite large geographically, people-wise there is a level of intimacy and camaraderie that you would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

1 comments:

Clare said...

Definitely one of the coolest things about living in the north, this interconnection of lives and the crossing and re-crossing of them. Small world indeed.