Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Great Womanizer And A Great Theatre



This post really has nothing to do with the Arctic but I thought I'd do it anyway simply because of my interest in music. Today marks the anniversary of the premiere of Mozart's opera Don Giovanni. Not only was Don Giovanni my first opera experience but I had the opportunity to see it in the very theatre where it was premiered in Prague. While Don Giovanni isn't my favorite Mozart opera (that distinction would go to Die Zauberflote), I found myself in Prague a couple summers ago and simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to see a performance. Only a pending train trip to Brussels prevented me from a second viewing.



The Estates Theatre is a real gem. It's original appearance has changed very little since its construction and to my knowledge, it is the only remaining theatre left standing where Mozart performed. I went all out with my ticket, getting a box seat just one balcony over from where Emperor Leopold II would have sat. For one evening the history bug in me was well satiated as I was transported back to another place and time.

All in all a fantastic way to spend a midsummer's eve.

0 comments: