Thursday, July 23, 2009

Way Way Up...The Book?

Before Way Way Up, I kept a diary. I started it late in my rookie year of teaching to record my experiences and to help me reflect and cope during the rough days. And I was pretty consistent with it. I kept it for about 4 years and still managed to write in it occasionally after I started blogging. Gradually though, despite my best efforts, I found it easier to record my Nunavut experiences on my blog so my off-line diary petered out. So, in addition to my blog, I have plenty of little anecdotes down on paper from my pre-Nunavut days.

All this is to day that it was suggested to me some time ago, that I might consider one day turning my blog and diary notes into a book. So who knows? I wrote out a bunch of stuff long-hand awhile back and would gladly re-visit it if it wasn't packed up in a box somewhere between Nanisivik, Nunavut and Brockville, Ontario at the moment. I'm turning the idea over in my mind and haven't reached any firm decisions yet. But the idea of someday having a book appeals to me more and more. Who know? I suppose we'll see. I think I may have come up with a title already...

4 comments:

Megan said...

If you Google "vanity press" you can find a publisher who will publish anything you want.

If you decide to go the more formal route with a publisher who would edit and publish your book at their expense, I can hook you up with a writer friend of mine who can give some advice.

jen said...

If you do, my suggestion is blurb.com. They will take everything from blogger and stick it into a format, where you can then add the other stuff you have in your diary. There books are great quality as well.

Way Way Up said...

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I've jokingly asked a few times why someone would want to pay to read my scrawl when they can just follow my blog for free but it's an idea that's been floating around in my head for sometime as I said. I'll look into both of your suggestions when I get an opportunity.

Meandering Michael said...

Do it!