Saturday, July 11, 2009

Past Connections

I won't bore you with the minutiae of my day, which for the most part has been taken up with packing. I'll just say that while things started off slowly, it seems the pace has vastly sped up the past couple days. In my haste to pack I have yet to pack something up only to realize that I still need it (knock on wood). I discovered the other day that I had left my camera back in Ontario so I won't be taking any more photos up here. For the moment I'll just have to rely on older ones from my library.

So anyway...on to my thought du jour. As one who has traveled around the country quite a bit, my interest is always piqued when I run across people or things that remind me of other places I've visited in the past that I hold connections to. During my PEI trip at one of the lighthouses I saw, there was a little display about the history of the Northumberland Ferry Lines. I had seen a few signs with NFL on them but wasn't sure to what it referred (and, yes, I did at first confuse them with the National Football League, I'm embarrassed to admit.)



Among the nice visuals in one of the rooms was one which mentioned one of the ferry line's earliest ships. The "Waubic" was built in Collingwood, Ontario, where I was born. In the 1930's, the Waubic was damaged in a fire in Kingsville, Ontario, the place where I did a lot of my in-class practicums during teachers college. The "Waubic" served faithfully until the 1950's, when it was finally gutted by a second fire in Nova Scotia.



Northumberland is also the name of the county in Ontario I grew up in.

So a few interesting connections to places from my past. Perhaps not earth-shattering to most of my readers but I thought it was pretty neat.

0 comments: