Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Grand Tour

I left Ottawa yesterday and after a great deal of flying I am now back in Nunavut. The airport out at Nanisivik is roughly 3100 km from Ottawa as the crow flies. Due to inclement weather though, I took the scenic route getting back, racking up a great deal of air mileage in the process. The journey went something like this - fly from Ottawa to Iqaluit, short layover and then on to Hall Beach for a "technical stop" as I was told; fly from Hall Beach to Nanisivik but the weather was too overcast and the winds were gusting in the neighbourhood of 80km/hour so on we fly to Resolute; spend the night in Resolute, wake up at 5 am; fly from Resolute to Nanisivik but again the weather is not conducive to a safe landing so on the plane flies -- all the way back to Iqaluit; wait in Iqaluit a couple hours then back on the plane en route to Nanisivik; again, no landing possible due to high winds so the flight diverts to Pond Inlet; wait in Pond Inlet about an hour; consider renting a boat of some sort to get back to Arctic Bay; finally, word comes that there is a break in the weather so off we go back to Nanisivik where we finally touch down. Whew! In total I flew about 7015 km in less than 36 hours.

Today is Nunavut Day, the day when Nunavummiut celebrate the anniversary of the signing of the Nunavut Act in 1993. This year I guess I celebrated by embarking on a grand farewell tour of sorts!

5 comments:

Kennie said...

Only to you does this much nasty weather happen to when flying to Nanisivik. Good to hear that you did make it back there - although, I think it would have been pretty funny if you did arrive on a boat :-)

Jason said...

It sounds like you lived through what First Air claims to be the reason why air travel in the area you live in is sooooo expensive.

I also have bad news for you. While you were traveling twice the distance needed to get home, Wesjet announced that they will service the NWT year round now. They were supposed to decide this in October, but I guess business is damn good!

Way Way Up said...

I was ALMOST sympathetic for them since the cost of the fuel consumed for this little adventure did enter my mind a few times during the trip. But then I learned upon arrival in town that my luggage had been left behind in Pond Inlet. How nice of First Air not to tell me before we took off.

Jason said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that Nunuavut Day is on April 1st. Nunavut was created on April 1, 1999. The celebrations happen on July 9th when it's the weather is nicer.

Way Way Up said...

Nunavut officially came into existence April 1, 1999 true, but Thursday was the anniversary of the official signing of the Nunavut Act which led to the territory's creation. This date has more significance (at least to the many people I've talked to) than the April 1 date. There were some enthusiastic celebrations going on in Pond Inlet when we touched down there. You could the music all the way out at the airport.