Sunday, July 26, 2009

Food Security

I intended to do a write-up on the issue of food security awhile ago. A newspaper article I read during my flight down from Iqaluit a little over a week ago caught my attention and I was reminded to finish up my intended post after a trip to a grocery store here in Brockville a couple days back. During the shopping trip I was floored by the amount of food choices in just one store. I quipped to Lisa that I could easily spend an hour in the bread section alone trying to decide what kind of bread I'd like for sandwiches. Humour aside, I have to admit to being a little overwhelmed by it all at first. And it wasn't just the selection that amazed me of course, but also the prices - substantially cheaper than the prices you'd find in small Nunavut communities. Long time readers of my blog (or anyone randomly searching through any of the Nunavut blogs on my sidebar) will no doubt find a mention of some of the crazy food prices there.

Here is the original article I read, referencing the Qanuippitali Inuit Health Survey - Half of Nunavut's Children Go Hungry.

As if to drive home the seriousness of the issue, I came across another article on this issue earlier this evening -
Seven in 10 Nunavut Families Go Hungry

For the sake of balance, people need to take responsibility for their actions. Lifestyle choices play an important role as this article illustrates. I'm not out to make policy or dictate how people should live their lives. In some ways I offer this post up as a rebuttal to the animal rights activists who put forth the facile argument that Inuit should just consume store-bought goods rather than harvest country foods. I know for myself that, even with sea lift orders and food mail, I'm finding it much easier (and less stressful on the wallet) to eat healthy now than I did just a couple weeks ago.

I wonder how many people entering a grocery store in an average southern urban centre realize just how good they have it when it comes to food availability.

2 comments:

Kennie said...

"The high cost of hunting coupled with the high cost of buying drugs and alcohol also means many hunters now prefer to sell their meat instead of sharing it, women told researchers."

And here in lies the problem. The high cost of buying drugs (and I highly doubt that these are prescription drugs) and alcohol. How about you don't spend your money on them and purchase food for your family instead?

Way Way Up said...

Even if you factor out the human element, the whole issue of high costs and lack of choice in food items remains.