Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Agree With PETA

Never thought you'd visit my blog and read a title like that now did ya? Reading about PETA's latest little promo urging people to boycott Canada's maple syrup producers yesterday initially elicited a big laugh. Upon further reflection though I have to say I actually agree with the MENSA wannabes for once. Flying up gallons of maple syrup, to say nothing of shipping up the ingredients for making the pancakes themselves, is insanely expensive. I should know. I paid $4.05 for a litre of milk yesterday so I can only imagine what one of those large tins I so often see maple syrup being sold in would go for. Not only would it hit me in the pocket book, but the act of flying all that tasty goodness here would create one heck of a carbon foot print, what with the aviation fuel and all the other energy that would need to be expended.

My solution, which really isn't a solution since it's been happening for over 4000 years, is to eat seals. Not only are they healthier for you, but as an added bonus they are locally grown, leaving a much smaller environmental impact in getting them to the dinner table. So thanks for the heads up, PETA. Granted you're a little slow since people here already eat a lot more seal than maple syrup, but I will encourage everyone (not that they really need it) to continue eating healthy seal meat. I'll ignore the fact that a maple syrup boycott will do little as the sale of this commodity accounts for less than 1% of the Canadian economy. But I will overlook your silly little oversight here and raise a chunk of seal meat to your idea.

Oh, and just between us, PETA, if you REALLY want to impress me, since you're doing VERY well today. I had a question for you I'd LOVE an answer to. I've been asking it on message boards and web sites for over 3 years now, but no one seems to be able to answer it. I'm wondering - Can you name one species of Arctic wildlife that that Inuit have EVER hunted to the point of extinction?


Thanks.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You raise some good points about hunting and the fuel used in transporting maple syrup (and other food items). I would like to try seal meat one day.

fireweedroots said...

Amen.

firemama said...

love your post today. that is soooo funny.
btw, I am sure you know Pamela Anderson is one of PETA's spokespeeps.... but notice in practically every photo she's in she's wearing UGGS? Guess sheep don't matter.

Way Way Up said...

Hollywood celebs are funny sheeple indeed.

Megan said...

I FRICKING LOVE YOU.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Love it!

Russell Potter said...

Your commentary on PETA has been spot on all along -- did you see the video of Barack Obama swatting the fly ("got the sucker!") to which PETA responded with an offer to send its "Katcha Bug Humane Bug Catcher" to the White House? Clearly the PETA folks have not been around at mosquito or blackfly season in the north .... they have managed to reach the "reductio ad absurdum" of animal rights in record time!

Way Way Up said...

Russell, thank you for that story. I did manage to read a short item on that here this morning. What annoys me is that to these people, their antics are all funny and good-natured. I really wish they could drag themselves up to a small northern community and see for themselves for sealing and fur play such a vital role in life up here and see how serious of an issue this really is. Urbanites by and large are entirely ignorant of the social and economic fallout that things like bans and boycotts have.

Meandering Michael said...

Have you heard the CBC Comedy Factory's latest podcast? I highly recommend a listen. You'll love it.

Way Way Up said...

I have to admit I know pretty much nothing about podcasting but this sounds like a good opportunity to start. I'll do my best to check it out.