Thursday, June 25, 2009

Alberta-Bound

Well, I can now let the cat out of the bag. I resigned my position in Arctic Bay yesterday morning and accepted an offer to teach grade 6/7 at Father R. Perin School in Chard/Janvier, Alberta. I look forward to the new challenges and am confident that I have made a good decision. We will be within a 2 hour drive of Ft. McMurray, a place I've been through a few times before. I feel that the new community provides a good combination of rural living within reasonable distance of urban convenience.

Not only does the position come with a house, but I managed to find a small rough street map of the community and discovered it has street names! After 6 years of having an address consisting of just a house number, I will now have a street name! An actual street name!! Yes, I know I'm being overly dramatic here but I'm sure anyone who has spent any length of time in an isolated, Northern community will know where I'm coming from. As for my blog, I'm not sure what it's future will bring although I do hope to keep it going. For the moment, I can only invite my readers to stay tuned for updates.

So, that's where things stand at the moment. I can expect to do a great deal of packing and paperwork over the coming weeks, but I still hope to fit a summer vacation in there somewhere as well.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job Darcy!!!
Hopign to get to see you before you head North again.

Love Amber

fireweedroots said...

Congratulations!

jen said...

Oh, I feel you about the street names! I'm so excited about having my own address when I move down south, no more P.O. box for me! Will you make a new blog or keep the old one? Either way I'll still be reading.

Shanlee said...

Welcome to Alberta. I'm at the bottom end (probably a good 15 hour drive away) - where there aren't any trees - but welcome all the same! :)

Lindsay Niedzielski said...

Congrats on the new job - and ya for street names!!!!!

Kiggavik said...

Congratulations Darcy, and all the best in your new community. I for one look forward to reading more about it.

dogsled_stacie said...

Congrats! Street names, yay! I spent a few summers/falls in Ft. Mac and loved the area (outside of the city that is), reminds me of the Yukon... have fun! Is the gf going with you??? :)

Megan said...

Good for you! Welcome to our side of the country. :)

Way Way Up said...

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I haven't decided yet whether or not to keep this blog or create a new one. I'm not sure what kind of internet access I will have yet though I suspect it might be dial-up. (and here I was complaining about the satellite internet I've had the past 4 years.)

And yes, the plan is that Lisa and the kids will be heading to the wilds of Alberta with me. What a brave woman!

:)

Aida said...

congrats! so you are leaving the north, no more possessed toilets, frozen sewage vents, po boxes and yay for street address!

start packing...like NOW! :-)

indigo said...

Cong rats! I have enjoyed your postings and will continue to look for more from the land of trees, moose, beavers, lakes, street names and dial-up.

dogsled_stacie said...

How exciting for you (and Lisa and the kids)!!! Can't wait to read about your Alberta adventures.