Saturday, May 23, 2009

Tyler

I was 14 when I first met Tyler, the son of friends of my parents. He was a couple years older than me then. He was easy going, down to earth. He played hockey too...defence. I always thought it was interesting that he played defense because after high school, Tyler joined the Ontario Provincial Police, Grenville County Detachment. Now instead of defending the zone, Tyler dedicated his life to defending his fellow citizens, people like you and me. He was in his early 30's when he made it onto the ERT Team. From what I understand its pretty rare to get onto the Emergency Response Team at a young age as typically these positions are filled by officers with many more years of experience. I know his parents were very proud. I thought it was really cool.

On May 23, 2004, Tyler was in his patrol car, responding to a call when he was hit head on by another driver traveling in excess of 140km/hr. A drunk driver. Traveling in the wrong lane. Tyler was killed instantly. Constable Boutilier was just 32 years old.

If its true a man can be measured by the strength and depth of his character then surely, Tyler was a giant among men. My deepest respect to the Boutilier family on this day.

1 comments:

Clare said...

A very nice tribute Darcy.