Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Patience Grasshopper

I suppose its been a bit of an open secret for some time now that I intend to leave Arctic Bay at the end of this school year to pursue other options. I've done my best to keep my recent negativity off my blog but I have to admit its been a challenge. Those in the know are aware that this year has been far from easy for me. This is my sixth year here in Nunavut. From experience I know that the average stay of many teachers, particularly in the smaller communities, tends to average around 2-3 years. So I guess I can be proud that I've surpassed the average. One thing that can always be counted on in education is change and I feel that in many ways I've reached some sort of upper threshold. I feel a bit stale professionally after 4 years in the same role and I feel that I've accomplished all that I can here in my current position. On a personal level there are a few life goals I wish to accomplish before I reach 40. So I have a nice little cushion before I reach THAT threshold.

Having said this though, my wish is to remain in the North in some capacity. Exactly what form that will take remains to be seen. I've spent my entire professional career here (9 years! Where did the time go?) and the North has defined my life in many ways and has colored how I see the world. I am currently sending out resumes to all and sundry. A couple hoped-for opportunities have fallen apart like a Chinese bookshelf but I remain optimistic. It's still quite early in the hiring process and I know from my own experience that I always end up with something good in the end. For now, I just soldier on and wait for the phone to ring. Patience, grasshopper, patience.

2 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I am sure something awesome will come your way soon!!

Lindsay Niedzielski said...

Your wish just to stay in the North is pretty broad, so i'm sure something will turn up soon! Good luck.