Sunday, May 24, 2009

Go Windsor!

YES!! The drought is over!! Congrats to the Windsor Spitfires for winning their first ever Memorial Cup. While attending the university down in Windsor I tried to catch as many of their home games as I could. They weren't particularly good back around 1999-2000. They lost to the Owen Sound Platers, for the love of Pete! My how things have changed! Not only is it the team's first Memorial Cup but Windsor become the first team in tournament history to lose their first two games and battle back to take the glory. A fitting win given the tragedy of the sudden death of team captain, Mickey Renaud, last year and the recent economic woes that have played havoc with the city's economy. I can't think of a more deserving city at the moment.

For many years I would hear from the U.S. media some nonsense about Detroit being "hockey town." I beg to differ. Hockey is king in Windsor. I'm proud of the team and proud to say I spent some of the best years of my life down there in the city of Windsor, Ontario.


SPITFIRES RULE!!!!