Friday, April 03, 2009

Umm....Hello?

Yes, rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I'm still alive and kicking. I've just been feeling rather sloth-like the past couple days given that I'll have the house to myself for the next three weeks. My room mate is housing sitting for a teacher who is in turn house sitting for our psych. nurse who is out on vacation for much of the month. I have a little Bach in the CD changer (no way I'll listen to the 300 CD's in it between now and June but there's no harm in trying) and I've been looking through a book order from Amazon that arrived earlier in the week. For the most part they are written in a much more academic style than I'm accustomed to but so far it hasn't been too bad. As they touch on northern politics, education issues, sociology and so on, topics I'm very interested in, it's all good information. Definitely some good books to add to my Northern library, including a short study on how climate change is affecting the Nunavut communities of Iglulik (Igloolik) and Arctic Bay. There are a few quotes from people in town here so it was pretty interesting when I first skimmed through the book just to see how many names I recognized.

I'm hoping to get out of the house tomorrow as long as the weather cooperates. It's been quite mild the past couple days with the mercury flirting with -8 to -10C. Even when it's closer to -20C, I still find it quite pleasant however, with the sun's heat and light reflected by the snow. I'll endeavour to write something of greater substance in the near future.

0 comments: