Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Nunavut Turns 10



Today marks the 10th anniversary of Nunavut. Originally I had planned to write something with more substance but events of the past couple days have drained my concentration skills. Be sure to check out some of the other Nunavut blogs on my sidebar as I'm sure there will be more coherent commentary than you will find here. When I first came north, I found myself in the Northwest Territories, shortly after division. Nunavut had been a territory for little more than a year at that point. I have now lived in Nunavut for half of its official life span, longer than most Nunavut bloggers even. (Yikes! Where has the time gone?) In that time, I've noticed many changes, not the least of which has been how much the capital, Iqaluit, has expanded in that time. Without showing too much of my hand, since I'm technically in government employ I will simply say there are some changes I find exciting and some I find troubling, changes I agree with and some I do not.

I should also add that although Nunavut officially came into existence on this date in 1999, that many people also look to July 9, 1993 as a day of celebration. That was the date that both the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement Act (which settled the Inuit land claim) and the Nunavut Act (establishing the territory) were passed by the Parliament of Canada. These dates will also see some celebration events this coming summer I'm certain.

Finally, for an idea of some of the challenges ahead, I offer up a couple news items without further commentary.

2 comments:

firemama said...

Happy Birthday!

One day I hope to visit.... so many wonderful places right within Canada I still have yet to see.....

That is the chicken said...

Happy Birthday Nunavut!
things there may not be perfect yet but it has to be bettter than the past.

Oddly enough I stumbled across the original National Geograhic Article (about Nunavut becomming a Territory) just this Sunday in a coffee shop on Denman Island (where time stands still!) and read it.

We moved to Canada in February 1999and didn't understand the significance of then Inuit's attaining governance of their land back then.

Once again, Happy Birthday!