Monday, April 06, 2009

Not For Labour But For Love

OK, time to come clean. I have a good reason for not blogging much of substance lately. There's bad and good...but ultimately good. The bad is that unfortunately, I was assaulted by a student after work today as I was coming out of the Northern. I'm not really sure what the reasons behind it were. I've had few problems with this particular student so unless it's sort of latent anger bubbling under the surface that has finally decided to erupt, I'm at a loss. At any rate, other than a sore and bruised shoulder blade and a few rattled nerves, I'm OK. I feel bad for the kids that are really at school to learn. I honestly and truly do but since this is the second violent episode I've experienced school year I simply won't allow my person to used as a personal punching every time a kid has issues. So it looks like I will finish off my year here and then head on to better and brighter things.

So enough of that. There is another reason I've been distracted the last little while - and much more pleasantly. Those of you on my Facebook may know why. (What can I say? I'm a lousy Poker player) I've met a beautiful young lady and while I try not to get overly personal on my blog, I'm afraid that in this case, I just can't help myself. And now, having said this, I really don't know what else to say. My head is in the clouds even though I'm looking out on a sunny evening sky.

16 comments:

Ferry Tales said...

Congratulations on the new lady friend!
It's shocking to hear about the students, though. I'm glad you can see through it and have compassion for them.

Ashley, Danielle & Benjamin said...

WOW Darcy, getting attacked by students sucks. Ash once had a kid in grade three attack him with a fly swatter. It actually left marks. Kids are crazy these days. Congrats on the "in a relationship" status!!! Where are you heading to? Coming southwest at all?

Way Way Up said...

Thanks Ferry...Hopefully I'm not in the doghouse for mentioning her on my blog in the same post as a pretty unfortunate little run in....lol.

Hey Danielle....I actually mailed off a letter to Al after work today for a position at PWK....maybe I'm coming full circle.

Anonymous said...

The smaller communities seem to be getting more dangerous. Best of luck in your future endeavours. Dave

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Hurray for the good news!

That is the chicken said...

Thinking of both you and your students. It's so tough working with disenfranchised, disappointed youth who struggle with issues in their own lives - well done for sticking with it for so long and making a difference in many lives (as I know you will have done). Burn-out is real and you need to recharge your enthusiasm and hope with a change. And it's wonderful that you have someone to share the next step with as you make those changes. All the very best for the next few months ahead!

Amy said...

Yikes, that's crazy! But congratulations on the relationship status.

fireweedroots said...

Sorry to hear about the incident with your student and congratulations to having found someone you care for enough to mention like this...
Good Luck, wherever you end up after this - but keep us in the loop, will you?

Lindsay Niedzielski said...

Sorry to hear about the situation at school, but that's great to hear about your relationship - I always thought my life got better when I had someone to share it with!!! Good luck with whatever you end up doing....there's some positions here in Kugaaruk if you stay in the north:)

Megan said...

Everyone else has already beaten me to the things I was going to say, so please let me ditto the folks above.

Anonymous said...

Shocked & concerned to read your blog this morning about the attach - I have been meaning to call you because I know of a few opportunities you might be interested in - that is if you are looking to head closer to home!!!! (or at least Ontario)

Happy to hear you have found someone - can't wait to get introduced!!!! (this summer???)

Amber

Way Way Up said...

Thanks everyone. I will comment further but it's not prudent to do so at the moment so I will hold off for the time being.

Amber - Always interested. I'm exploring all options at this point. Let me know what you've come across and I'll take it from there. Thanks sis!

Unkle B said...

I hear that the lunch lady is retiring from CDHS this year, are you interested?? LOL

Take care and hope to see you in the summer!

Way Way Up said...

Haha Brian...You want fries with that?

Matthew and Michele said...

Congratulations on the new relationship.

We can always use teachers in Cape Dorset. Here are a few reasons why you should come to Dorset to teach:

- We can finally surpass Arctic Bay for the largest number of bloggers outside of Iqaluit.
- We can take you snowmobiling and fishing.
- Can help improve your poker game. Just bring money.
- Only one assault on a teacher in the three years we’ve been here.
- Sun year round even in the depths of winter.
- You already sort of know some of us.
- Northern and Co-op store. Fancy
- Cape Dorset print shop
- Cape Dorset carvings at your door.
- Cheaper to fly south from here.

That’s a quick list of some reasons. Hope it helps to sway your decision.

:o)

Way Way Up said...

Matthew & Michele, very tempting list. All options are wide open at this point so you never know.