Saturday, April 11, 2009

It Really Is A Small World

Recent online conversations with other Northern bloggers have reminded me of just how small the North can be. Some examples -

Kara, formerly from Kugluktuk, knows a woman who is now on staff here in Arctic Bay. Kara of course now blogs from Faro Yukon. When I was growing up in little Campbellford, Ontario, my parents knew a couple who moved there back in the '80's to teach at the school in Faro. Small world.

Lindsay from Niedzielski Family Blog happens to know a girl (from when they both lived in Chesterfield Inlet) who went to grade school with my one sister in Ontario. Small world.

Then there's Tina and Rob from Just Below 63. I used to teach not very far from where they find themselves in northern Saskatchewan. Man, I miss ice fishing.

The one that really freaks me out though is fellow blogger Clare. Through some strange quirk, he was an RCMP member in each of the same provinces and territories I've taught in (although we weren't there at the same times). Now, if memory serves me correctly, here's the run down: At one point in his career, Clare was in Fort Providence, Northwest Territories, not too far from where I started my career in Fort Smith. Heck, the two places are just down the road from each other. He's mentioned spending time in Thompson, Manitoba. I taught in a small community about an hour by air north of Thompson. He has also written some good real life crime stories from his time in La Ronge, Saskatchewan. La Ronge just happens to be where the board office is located of the school board I worked for when I was in La Loche, the year before I moved to Nunavut. And now in Nunavut, we live down the road from each other here in Arctic Bay. Yes, it's a small world.

And, no, in case you're wondering, I'm not some freaky stalker. These are just blogs I've pretty much read all the way through and I happen to have a pretty good memory for detail. Honest.

8 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I don't know... you are sounding a little stalkerish! hehehe

Way Way Up said...

Mua-ha-ha-ha! And I'm watching Man Tracker too at the moment!

That is the chicken said...

It is amazing how small the world is...I once met three people from my neighbourhood on the same small campsite in France. Bizarre! did you tell Clare you were stalking him? I don't think he'd be scared!

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Last night I had a dream that Matt and I were on Mantracker!! We had to climb a frozen waterfall.

Lindsay Niedzielski said...

It is a small world...I once ran into a girl I knew from my home city when I was at the Guiness Brewery in Ireland...crazy!!!

Kiggavik said...

You Stalker! A slight correction though, I wasn't at Fort Resolution, but Fort Providence. Still down the road, but about five or six hours down the road. The others are right though, La Ronge and Thompson (with stops in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Montreal, and Rose Valley). Good friends of mine are from South Indian Lake. She was born there, he used to police there.

I have a similar one, with even closer connections. A friend of mine, an author and blogger, has lived in many of the same places as me, never at the same time. We both lived in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, La Ronge and Thompson. And while we both lived in the NWT and Nunavut, I was in Fort P and here, and she lived in Yellowknife and Baker Lake. We connected because I googled a reporter who was interviewing me about Christmas in the Arctic, and he had written an article on her.

Small World indeed. And I remember a great foot chase through the parking lot of that board office in La Ronge. The one time that throwing my flash light at someone's feet actually tripped them.

Jennith said...

I think the weirdest small world story of mine comes from A Ranger camping trip in Gr. 11. We were at a trailer park on May 24, sober, roasting marshmellows over our tiny little cooking fire - while the other kids about our age... well.. were laughing at use. Except one boy.. who came over and recited Monty Python for us. All we knew about him was his first name, that he came from Peterborough and his birthday. 2.5 years later.. who is living in my residence - but our Monty Python reciting friend.. and I probably would have never recognized him except that my roomate was also from Peterborough and had the same birthday as him...

Still... up here one of the other teachers was in my Forestry 101 course at UNB and another is good friends with an old roommate's older sister. And Kennie of Arctic Bay and I know a tonne of folk in Common - assuming that we didn't cross paths ourselves at some point.

Way Way Up said...

I'm from Peterborough too Jennith and I love Monty Python....I sing it wonderfully...at least to me I do...to others, perhaps not so well.