Tuesday, March 03, 2009

This 'n That

A few random items on the menu tonight.

1. First, just to tie off my recent post on store costs, the litre of homogenized milk cost $4.45 (but at least the expiry date isn't until March 12, giving me ample time to brace myself before buying the next litre) and the orange juice was $10.59 (apparently, making the juice so that it's "low pulp" is a costly endeavour). I would have posted a photo of the actual receipt but my Internet connection is running a little slow at the moment. Thanks to all those who offered up a guess. Again, these prices are not the worst I've seen it by any stretch of the imagination but.......

2. On the hockey front, my nephew's team finished off their quarter final series the other night with a 3-1 victory. I'm not quite sure who they will face in the semis but I'm guessing either York-Simcoe (last year's trophy winners) or Barrie. Toronto teams are always a good challenge (discounting the Maple Leafs of course) so it should make for an interesting semi-final match. I'll update as I get more information.

3. On the music front, I finally after only 4 months have my stereo sound system hooked up just right. I bought a CD changer back in the fall and finally got around to filling it up last week during the time off work. Choosing 300 Cd's out of my more than 800 to put in the changer was a challenge. Should I stick with Vivaldi and Bach or perhaps branch out and go with some late Beethoven or Mahler? OK, really I was just being lazy. Anyhow, I managed to hook the changer up to my stereo system so that I could use its speakers and now I'm good to go. I also had to disassemble the stereo in order to fix the little plug in receiver where you plug your headphones into. I'm not really sure how best to explain it. But the part inside the stereo that my headphone jack clips into came loose and got pushed back into the stereo housing. So I had to take the thin apart (that was when I noticed the "made in China" label on the back of one of the speakers) and with a little superglue courtesy of Kendra, well it's safe to say that that loose part won't be coming loose again. any time soon.

4. I came across a very interesting little book buried under a pile of loose papers in the bottom corner of a shelf in my class discussing the development of education and schools in the old Northwest Territories. A few teachers from the '50's and '60's, whose names I've ran across over the years, are mentioned including some who taught at the school here. Included are a few old pictures of different communities, including Arctic Bay - even a photo of the first school here. When my Internet connection is running faster, I hope to scan a few of the old photographs and post them so stay tuned. I came across an old picture of a former MLA and our current mayor when they were both attending school here. I recognized their faces almost instantly and one of our classroom assistants confirmed my suspicions for me. Anyway, I find this latest book discovery very interesting and I plan to start pouring over it as soon as I finish this post.

5. And finally, speaking of schools, our school is a flurry of activity at the moment with construction crews here installing new exterior windows and doors. As I understand it, they will also be spending some time at leveling the school. (By this I mean they will be making adjustments to the metal support structure supporting the school to even out the floors which often shift up and down due to the underlying permafrost.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes on the price of O.J. thats out rageous - however hate to disappoint you but a 2 litre container of milk in C'ford at the local No frills runs about $4.00 to $4.49 depending on brand & whether it's 1%, 2% or homo.

On the Hockey front Cole's team will start the semi-final round this saturday against Barrie - will keep you posted.

Way Way Up said...

Ouch! And they don't even give you a bag. I should probably re-do a post on this topic shortly before sealift arrives in late August. There is usually a big jump in prices on goods then, particularly on bulky items.

...and I'll be sure to keep up with the hockey scores. Thanks!!

NouveauBlogger said...

I stumbled on your blog and find it very interesting. Keep up the good work :)

Way Way Up said...

Thanks for stopping by NouveauBlogger!