Friday, March 06, 2009

A Message to the European Union

I know I've commented on this issue before (okay several times before), and when I read this article this morning about the EU's proposed ban on Canadian seal products, several more thoughts (okay, two) went through my head - both positive, surprisingly. My first thought was - Good for you EU! After centuries of slaughtering each other and trying to impose your politics, religion and culture on others (and each other), you've finally learned how to work together. Wow! Bravo! Your mother must be sooooo proud. Good for you, Europe! Seriously, I stand in total and complete awe! (Granted, you're still trying to impose your screwed up notions on the Inuit, but hey, you are finally working together and not killing each other, so I guess that's a start.)

What I find more encouraging than the Europeans' genius idea of cooperation rather than slaughtering your neighbors, is the number of comments on the CBC article from Northerners speaking out. Normally, I can't be bothered with CBC's comment sections but since this is an issue obviously close to my heart, I got curious. I find it encouraging that Northerners and indeed a lot of other Canadians aren't going to take this lying down. I think that trying to have two sets of rules, based solely on what part of the country the seal is harvested from is divisive and also a little racist. But it's not like the Europeans would know anything about the idea of differing treatment based on race. But then, what do I know?

2 comments:

Jackie S. Quire said...

I noticed and was pleasantly surprised by the comment section this time around too. Could it be things are looking up?

Way Way Up said...

Here's hoping. I have more to come on this issue as the whackos start to crawl out of their holes but my brain lacks the requisite concentration skills at the moment.