Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Happy Retirement Professor Palmer!

I received a little card in the mail this afternoon announcing the retirement of one of my professors at the University of Windsor's School of Music. Distance and professional obligations will keep me from attending the big retirement bash though I'd be there in a heart beat if I could. Professor David Palmer was a class act - approachable, passionate about teaching and just a great fellow.

He was actually the first professor I spoke with when I arrived in Windsor. I showed up in the summer of 1993 for my piano audition and got a little turned around in the long, snaky corridor while trying to find the auditorium. Prof. Palmer was quick to welcome me to the university and the city and kindly pointed me in the right direction. He also wished me luck with my audition and said he looked forward to seeing me as a student later that fall. That little conversation was the kicker for me when it came to making my final decision on what university I would go to. I ended up having a choice between Windsor and another school and it was his friendly personality that was the kicker for me when all was said and done.

Hearing him play Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565) on the organ at All Saint's Church in Windsor was an unforgettable experience, a highlight of my university years. He instilled in me a life-long love for Bach that I hold to this day. Congratulations Prof. Palmer on your 40 years of teaching at the University of Windsor's School of Music. I wish you a happy retirement and warm wishes for the future!

0 comments: