Monday, February 02, 2009

A Very Relevant Holiday.....For Sure

The one little "holiday" I always forget about each year is Groundhog Day. (OK, so it's not a holiday per se but I'll use the word anyway for lack of a better word.) I always get a chuckle out of the concept of a groundhog predicting the weather and how relevant that is to my life here. And I don't want to dump on holidays or traditions, it's just that I find the whole charade a rather curious thing. Wiarton Willie, Schubenacadie Sam and Punxsutawny Phil all saw their shadows meaning of course we can expect 6 more weeks of winter - no early spring. Winter here, or at least winter-like conditions, will persist much longer than 6 weeks. I revel in the winter weather so six, eight, ten, twelve more weeks of crisp winter weather is just fine with me.

We don't even have groundhogs anywhere close to where I live. The little critters would have a heck of a time burrowing into permafrost to make a den. (My sadistic side thinks that would be a funny thing to watch, however.) Nunavut does have a northern species of groundhog (called a sik sik), but their range (to the best of my knowledge) is over on the mainland, well to the West of Baffin Island.

Watching the fanfare in both Canada and the US on the news this morning, I found myself chuckling at the different reactions to the buck-toothed rodents' predictions - predominantly boos at the Punxsutawny ceremony (where people tend to freak, at least in the Lower 48, as soon as the first snow flake hits the ground) and mostly cheers in Wiarton (more winter time to enjoy winter sports.)

Faced with more winter (like I never would never expect that here), I decided to change my header photo to show a more wintery scene. As soon as my internet connection speeds up, I'll trim it down so that it isn't so freaky large.

0 comments: