Friday, February 06, 2009

The Sun Made Me Do It

Yes I can only blame today's general weirdness on the return of the sun. We ran out of water last night and found out at work that there were troubles with the water trucks. From what I was told, some water had frozen inside the truck's tank and it had to be taken into the garage to unthaw it. We really needed water to fill up the toilet tank (or flush box as they say in Newfoundland). It then occurred to Monty and I that there was a virtual cornucopia of water right outside our front door...in the form of snow. It was then that we decided to take a couple plastic totes and fill them with snow.....



...and melt it down so we would at least be able to fill up the toilet tank/flush box and have a little water to at least wipe down the counter tops as well.. I found out a little later that at least one of the trucks was running and spent the entire melting-snow-on-the-stove process half hoping the truck would come and half hoping it wouldn't since I had by then passed the point of no return in regard to my water-making efforts...mmm...soup's on!


I then volunteered to cut my neighbour Kendra's hair. I was a little reluctant at first but since she was all for it, I agreed. Now, I've cut my own hair many times but never someone else's. An old university room mate had once cut his girlfriend's hair and he survived the ordeal so I figured what the heck? The master hair cutter was ready...


Pent-up frustrations from the week were taken out on Kendra's pony-tail. Behold the carnage!


I was a quick learner and I must have done a decent job. After all, I cut a woman's hair and yet I am still conscious and breathing as I type this. There were a few close calls regarding such things as ears and eyebrows but overall not too bad of a job if I do say so myself. More visuals of my handiwork can be seen here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a very "Brave Soul" to cut a womens hair and live to tell the tail!! and still have all of your body parts..... Hmmm... Melting snow for water....Hmmmmm ... you must have been in army cadets and experienced a winter exercise.

jen said...

You guys are nuts!! I think it's the lack of sun, not the other way around. Darkness brings out the silly for sure!! lol

Kennie said...

I really needed the hair cut though - it's pretty hard to get one up here ... and besides, it's only hair - it will grow back.

Way Way Up said...

Oh I don't need the darkness to bring out the 10-year-old in me;
:)

Tina said...

Darcy you're the best. You've proven that I'm not the only one that uses the phrase "unthaw". Rob forever torments me when I say I need to take something out of the freezer to "unthaw", because if you think about it, you're taking it out to "thaw", so unthawing it would really be freezing it. :) (Truth be told, I grew up saying this as my parents are newfoundlanders but I stopped saying it after being nagged by Rob, because although I'll never admit it, he's right. :) )

Aida said...

hilarious esp the hair cutting part

Anonymous said...

Blame it on the return of the sun. Nice job Darcy. paul