Monday, February 09, 2009

Pangnirtung Revisited

The first time I landed in Pangnirtung was definitely an experience I'll never forget, flying low down a fiord approaching a small runway, flanked by tall mountains on either side. There's just something odd about sitting in an aircraft and looking up to see mountains rather than looking down. Pang must have one of the smallest runways in Nunavut and landing on it in an Hawker 748....well you never forget it. During my first landing I swore the plan was going to over-shoot the landing strip and end up on the front door of the high school. The runway isn't quite long enough to land the newer ATR aircraft so the -748 does the honours for the time being. I remember taking off from there quite vividly. It must be the only time I've been in an aircraft that was actually accelerating as it made its turn at the end of the runway so that it would gather enough juice to actually lift off without splashing down into the fiord.

Unfortunately, I was never actually able to get many pictures of the community itself since I was always just passing through. Most of the pictures below are of the landscape between Pang and Qikiqtarjuaq (Broughton Island) over Auyuittuq National Park. Stunning visuals nonetheless. My photography can't do it justice.

Airport terminal.


View down the fiord. If you ever happen across tourist literature from Pang and its environs, odds are you'll see at least one picture similar to this but without the chain link fence in the way.








I may be wrong but I'm fairly confident that this is a shot of Akshayuk Pass in Auyuittuq National Park along with Summit Lake and either the Weasel or Owl River in the distance.

4 comments:

Alex said...

beautiful scenery!
Pang is on my list of places to visit...so yes, I am jealous!

Nancy said...

The landscape between Pang and Qik is just stunning, isn't it? It's usually either dark or cloudy when I pass over, but in December I had a mid-day flight on a clear day and it was just spectacular!

Jessica said...

I LOVE those photos. They look like old postcards!

Way Way Up said...

The views are definitely something else. I have to admit I'm impressed with the way some of my Pang photos turned out considering the old camera I was using at the time.