Monday, February 09, 2009

It's All A Matter Of Perspective

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me (and constantly messes with my brain) is just how huge the landscape is here. It's something that a camera can never convey and give it proper justice.

There's nothing in this first photo to accurately show its size...but its pretty darn big - 332m, or just shy of 1100 ft. My first day in Qikiqtarjuaq (Broughton Island) I thought I'd climb it and enjoy the views. It would probably take me a couple hours and then I'd be back. Or so I thought. In reality it took me over an hour just to get to its base. I went perhaps one-third of the way up, all the while scrambling over house-sized boulders. It didn't take too long before the light of reason dawned and I beat a hasty retreat. It wasn't until later the following spring that I actually got to the top. The views were worth the wait.



The following year our school staff and some community members took an afternoon boat trip down nearby Kingnelling Fiord. It's very easy for a human being to feel very small.




On a somewhat related note, I found loaves of pumpernickel bread in the Northern after work. So I grabbed a couple. I love this bread. I'm hoping it will be an incentive toward using up the canned salmon I ordered on sea lift for lunches. After months of salmon sandwiches I question why I ordered so many cans on my sea lift. It really didn't seem like that much salmon when I placed my order last June. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

4 comments:

indigo said...

if you like corn chowder, it is really good with some salmon in it. Also creamed salmon with frozen peas is excellent on toast.

and canned salmon makes an excellent pate or cracker topper with the addition of some cream cheese or sour cream some lemon pepper, dash of worchestshire and some very finely chopped onions.

salmon souffle is pretty simple and quite good.

have fun

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I have a great recipe for salmon pinwheels. Involves canned salmon rolled in dough, baked, and then covered in a mushroom soup sauce! Let me know if you want it!

Heather (aka Mum) said...

My questions is, How much did you pay for the pumpernickel?
Also...for the not so informed, can you explain the "sea lift" ?

I thought the Yukon was expensive (compared to my Ontario life) but Whitehorse isn't much diffrent that Toronto! It's the Communities that get hit...we pay double in the Junction for most of our stuff...and I was told that green broccoli was $32 a head in OldCrow & $22 if it has turned yellow already!! This was bout 3 years ago!

Way Way Up said...

Heather, I don't recall what the bread cost. I'm guessing something in the $4-$5 range. I've grown accustomed to the prices here so it usually takes something quite excessive for it to stand out in my mind. I'll be sure to do up a post sealifts in the near future seeing as that time of year for getting orders in is only a few short months away.