Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ice Cave

In the spring of 2005, the school I was teaching in participated in an exchange with a group of grade 6 students from a tiny community near Thunder Bay, Ontario. One afternoon they were taken by community members to an ice cave along the southern shore of Broughton Island. I tagged along as a chaperon. I had been told about this cave but had yet to see it since it can only be entered when the sea ice is frozen over. The cave had a very tall ceiling but the walls were just wide enough in some places to be able to (barely) fit a snowmobile through. The icy stalactites and formations along the walls were really quite stunning. You felt very small inside. I've been through a few caves in Europe and this one here compares quite favourably with them. My photos never did the place justice but what you see below is my humble attempt to do just that.













5 comments:

Aida said...

wow...very very cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow and cool from me too!!

Alex said...

I'd have to disagree with the above commenter. I think they're actually quite awesome pictures.

WHAT? They liked them? Oh...well then, I'd like to change my statement and go on record saying that I agree with the above commenter.
That is all.

Way Way Up said...

My only regret is not having a digital camera back then.

Jason said...

Wow...way cool!