Thursday, February 26, 2009

"Hi Southern Canada, Baker Lake has cell phones...."

Flipping to the History Channel this afternoon, I stopped briefly on the Country Music Television channel*. A text message at the bottom of the screen caught my eye as I noticed "Nunavut" scroll across the bottom of the screen. Someone was using their cell phone to announce to the rest of Canada that cell phone service had arrived in Baker Lake.

Iqaluit has cell phone service and so does Rankin. I had heard shortly before Christmas that service was due to be expanded to include Arviat and Baker Lake in the Kivalliq Region. No cell phone service here in Arctic Bay but since I don't ever plan on owning a cell phone, I won't complain. Part of the appeal of living up here is the freedom from being entangled (more or less) in the web of the southern rat race. Having said this though, that little text scrolling across the bottom of the screen gave me a good afternoon chuckle.

*And you know there would have to be a very good reason for me to stop at this channel.

4 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I bet you are a closet CMT junkie.

Way Way Up said...

LOL.....never!

Way Way Up said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

We got it here in Cambridge Bay in the early fall.