Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fort Smith...Where It All Began

In June, 2000, fresh out of teachers college, I signed my first contract to teach high school in Fort Smith, Northwest Territories. At the time, it seemed most of the others I graduated with were taking up teaching in Ontario schools. I was looking for something different. Little did I know at the time of the challenges and rewards that awaited me. I certainly didn't think I'd find myself in the North nine years later...and yet here I am.



My first school - P.W. Kaeser High School - in -35C weather.


Catholic Church and Catholic Mission building. The mission building is now an historical site.


One of the many supply vessels that once plied the Slave River. I think this ship's name is the "Distributor" if I'm not mistaken.


The Rapids of the Drowned on the Slave River.


Evening view along the Slave River - my favourite picture of the whole bunch.


Late summer sunset along the river bank. I believe it was June around midnight in this shot.

3 comments:

indigo said...

Fort Smith is an interesting place, sort of the the garden belt as the locals there like to call it. I greatly admired the pelicans, the tall trees, the river, the two museums and the national park during our visits there. It was a nice/welcome change from Fort Resolution.

Sort of a funny place too with all the older NWT pre separation government types retiring there so they are just barely in NWT, on a road and eligble for all the NWT perks. It struck me as a physically beautiful place and an emotionally sad place.

Your photos are nice, thanks

Way Way Up said...

It definitely has a character all its own. It was a rough town but also very scenic. I thought it rather unfortunate the place gets negative press (especially the past 6 months or so) but I would love to revisit the place. It will forever hold a special meaning for me as my gateway to the North.

magpie11 said...

I was there back in 1991... it was a good place to recover from a horrendous depression... one thing I noticed was the envy on the part of many of the European population of the privileges granted to the local (Dene and other) people... would have loved to have been able to go back and accept the offer to go out on some trapping lines.