Thursday, February 19, 2009

Books, Bird Counts and Blog Shares

As good fortune would have it, I've won a book (Birds of Canada) in a draw held by Clare for participating in this year's Great Backyard Bird Count. He ever so kindly dropped it off at work for me over lunch. I'm very much looking forward to plowing into it. To my novice eyes, it has a wealth of information and I was humbled by the author's ornithological awesomeness. With my newest acquisition, in one fell swoop, I have now doubled my library of wildlife guides.

Clare mentioned perhaps contacting the media to get the word and about the territory for next year's count and I think that's a great idea. Nunavut is a huge territory for a small amount of counters to cover so the more the merrier. Going back through the data, I only saw lists submitted from 4 communities over the past 11 years. But on the bright side....Arctic Bay had the highest number of Common Ravens counted. We were in first place until being unseated by Clearwater BC I believe. It's neat to see my little arctic community on a list with all these major centres from Canada and the United States. Anyhow, all this is to say that since 1) I now have a couple guidebooks, 2) I look like what I know what I'm doing (more or less) and 3) my knees held out much better on my weekend hikes than I thought they would, I look forward to giving it another go again next year.

The blog share has been good for my blog as I had twice the normal number of page loads I usually get before I even left for work yesterday morning. I'm hoping to be able to break 100 000 page loads in time for my blog's anniversary next month and I'm on track to do it at the moment. I'm pleased to have the opportunity to share my writing with a wider audience and was happy to see my own post that I submitted on another blog has generated a goodly number of comments (and hopefully some added traffic) for its host blog.

And finally, I'm gearing up for my professional improvement week next week. I will be interviewing and collecting stories from a local elder and I'm very keen to share my experiences here so stay tuned.

taima.

0 comments: