Monday, January 12, 2009

This Is The Best I Can Do

Sadly, for someone who's lived in Canada's North for the better part of the last decade, I can only boast of experiencing two real blizzards (and the last one was almost 5 years ago now that I think of it). I'm sure this explains my fascination with ever blizzard story I hear. Due to a combination things both climactical and geographical, blizzards in Arctic Bay are pretty rare events. Arctic Bay DID experience a storm of sorts last August however, no weather warnings were issued. That storm was remarkable more for the fact that it happened in a "summer" month and not because of any great havoc it caused. I have yet to encounter a true blizzard here in town and I haven't heard too many harrowing tales of them from people who have lived here longer than me.

Apparently there is quite the blizzard kicking up at the moment in the Kivalliq Region (this would be the relatively flat plain of the central arctic region, a.k.a. the big flat part north of Manitoba). So I've read with interest what other bloggers from the Kivalliq have written from the communities of Arviat, Baker Lake and Rankin Inlet.

The only recent pictures (the best I can do) that I have at the moment that come anything close to a blizzard are this one from last month, which was taken where I grew up in Ontario the day after I arrived at my parents - a bit uncomfortable by southern Ontario standards but nothing to really sneeze at over all.


...and this picture was taken as my flight from Ottawa was landing in Iqaluit about 10 days back. Again, nothing earth-shattering, but as I said it's the best I can do for now.


Like a Democratic impatiently waiting for George W. to finally leave the White House, I too, wait patiently to experience the wondrous power of a true blizzard. I like blizzards - from the warmth and comfort of my living room, of course.

2 comments:

Curtis Groom said...

I always have found this facination to be strange one. we live in the Arctic, one would assume that we see the truly god inspired blizzards, however through my travels I have felt the same dissapointment as you have. except for the Kivalliq region, my blizzard experiences have paled beside my childhood in Kincardine Ont, where I remember driving down a road and not being able to see the top of the snow banks after a particularly cool blizzard in '76. Incredible winds, we get, incredible cold temps we get, but the inspired act of God blizzards are a matter for the more temperate regions, Go figure.
Here's wishing you a really good one this year, I know I have my fingers crossed.
Take Care
CG

Way Way Up said...

I've been told many great stories of Ontario blizzards back in the mid-70's though I was too young at the time to remember them. Perhaps this explains my fascination with the phenomena.