Thursday, January 15, 2009

How Lucky Is This Guy?!

The one thing that never ceases to amaze is how potent a force nature is. The "conveniences" of modern have so encroached on the modern world that I think we often forget about this. Here I am sitting on a comfortable bed in a well-lit room with a Mac Book on my lap...a little Bach on the ipod. Pretty comfortable digs. And then I read a story about this Nunavik hunter's harrowing night on an ice pan. What an incredible tale of survival!

A couple years ago I learned of a similar from town told of how a number of local hunters out seal hunting found themselves trapped on an ice pan that broke away from the shore. I was surprised by how nonchalant the man who told me about the story was. I'm no hunter and I don't get out on the land as often as I wish so I can only imagine what my reaction would be. Perhaps something like this - scream like a little girl, run around the ice pan whilst flailing my arms about in an hysterical manner, kissing my posterior farewell.

2 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

Screaming like a little girl, running around the ice pan whilst flailing your arm about in an hysterical manner AND kissing your posterior farewell?!?

I'm having a hard time picturing that. Can you please post a video?

Way Way Up said...

Mmm....perhaps not. Multi-tasking has always been a challenge for me.