Wednesday, January 14, 2009

He Shoots! He.....

...doesn't score - because my nephew was the goalie, of course! My nephew was in a pretty big tournament this past weekend in Oshawa, Ontario. I was prevented from mentioning anything about it due to hockey superstitions on the part of my sister. Plus, in terms of future development, it was a very important weekend and since my nephew reads my blog from time to time, I didn't want to unfairly put too much pressure on him. Now, however, I am free to use my blog to brag all I want as any proud uncle would. Needless to say, my nephew's team won the tournament. He only lost one game during the entire weekend. And since it happened to be the first game he played, we'll just chalk that up to pre-tourney jitters. He still managed to win MVP anyway. The real exciting part was that he's been AP'd by the AAA Major Bantam Team. As I found out, this is hockey-speak for "affiliated player" meaning that if the Major Bantam team needs a goalie for one of their games and it doesn't conflict with HIS team's schedule, he'll be "called up" to play. I could be wrong, but I believe Major Bantam is for 14 and 15 year olds and Cole just turned 13 back in September. So, it's definitely a good opportunity for him. Even if he doesn't get called up, its still a big vote of confidence for the kid. Good stuff bud!

2 comments:

Heather (aka Mum) said...

Hay Oshawa is MY hometown! I wonder if your little guy played against any of my freinds' munchkins...hummm...it feels SOoo far away some days, nevertheless, think I'll keep my Northern Mountains ;)

Way Way Up said...

If they play AAA Minor Bantam, its possible. My nephew just turned 13 back in the fall. I've passed through Oshawa many times. My uncle lived there at one time....its a great hockey town!