Sunday, January 25, 2009

Overlooking the Rhine

For some reason, rivers have always fascinated me. Ironic, considering that I can't really swim. Whether, it's the Mackenzie River, the Slave, the Danube or the Nile, these wonders of nature have always attracted my attention. Part of it is all the history (both human and natural) and all the various myths and local stories surrounding them. Part of it too, is just the great beauty. Like life, they are always moving, ever onward. They can be fragile. They can be resilient. There are many turns and tumbles but its always an interesting trip.





These two photos are of the Rhine River in Schaffhausen, Switzerland in June 2008.

5 comments:

Johanna said...

Or, perhaps the pictured river is th Rhine, no?

Way Way Up said...

I stand corrected. I really should know my rivers...and not listen to the "Blue Danube" on my ipod as I write up posts! :)

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Those pictures are so beautiful. Any idea what is growing in the bottom picture? Fruit trees maybe?

Way Way Up said...

Vineyards!

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Ah! Well it looks gorgeous over there. Matt would like to travel Europe to see where Canadians fought in the wars. I think it will be a while before we get to do that trip though. For now, I get to live vicariously through you!