Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sitting With a Smug Look On My Face

Ah! I just love the payback! It's a.......well, something. I've been following the latest hysteria on the little cold snap in Western Canada and wondering how this is news.....Canada being a Northern nation and all. But no, you'd think the four horsemen of the Apocalypse had arrived...winter horse shoes and all. I know the air up here is drier so it often doesn't feel as cold as the thermometer might read but still...if I can go from from spending 7 years traipsing around Windsor, Ontario and its environs in shorts during February to walking through Iqaluit blizzards and -47C temps in Arctic Bay, anyone can do it. And really, -40C isn't all THAT cold.

3 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

What is crazy is that it is colder here in Faro that it is in Kugluktuk!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm an ex-Yukoner that also spent some time in Iqaluit and Yellowknife, now living in Vancouver. I keep hearing about how cold it is outside so I keep overdressing! I actually did up my jacket and wore mitts the other day, but by the time I'd walked a few blocks to the bus stop I was too hot. Wimps! Hey, anybody remember this one? Q: "What do you do in Rankin Inlet when the wind stops?" A: "Fall over!"

Bonnieupnorth said...

Darcy, I just knew there would be a little rant from either you or Clare!and I happen to agree with you...in Edmonton it is a dry cold but sunny skies. Yes I can wear my my parka & sweaters normally reserved for the north, streets get plowed and sanded promptly but Vancouverites are not used to snow. It does ofthe paralyze them closing school and few grader to deal with the build up.. remember one year in Victoria due to different municipalities street got graded but noy matched up!