Thursday, November 27, 2008

Weather, Be Kind

Assuming the weather cooperates I will be heading out tomorrow with my boys team to Iqaluit for a weekend tournament. We also have a couple girls teams hoping to get there. They were scheduled to fly out this morning but no plane was able to land. Apparently, for some reason, the runway wasn't plowed. So tomorrow the boys and I should fly out at 9am with the girls following on a second plane later in the afternoon. Getting to any major tournament from here involves a, 2400+ km flight down to Iqaluit (3 hours in both directions) and back so sometimes just getting there is a victory in itself. At times I miss do miss simply loading everyone into a big van for a 3-hour drive down to a neighboring school for a tourney as I was able to do in Saskatchewan a few years back. Ah, sweet simplicity.

I have a pretty young team this year and for at least half of them, this will be there first major sports tournament. We also picked up a new set of uniforms for this weekend's games so it would be a shame not to make it there. It is at these times though, that I try (with varying degrees of success) to adopt the Inuit perspective where you don't fret and stress over situations over which you have no control (ie the weather). It is simply wasted energy.

The weather had been looking pretty favorable all week but this morning the forecast calls for cloudy conditions and a 30% chance of snow. It will all depend on what the ceiling is like in the morning. Our airport out at Nanisivik is at elevation, if you recall from earlier posts. So while I'm a bit edgy about our chances, I remind myself that in the past 3 years, I've never had problems getting teams to tournaments due to weather. A couple years ago we came close to not being able to get out but then, as luck would have it, we made it and won a gold medal that year. So I'm taking that as a good sign.

3 comments:

allmycke said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and the teams.

Gish said...

hey, one of our teachers went to Iqaluit for a soccer thing with a load of kids. May the best team win!
*grin*

Way Way Up said...

Thanks! The competition was fantastic and I saw some great games and spectacular plays.