Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Man, That's Some Suction!**

The strangest thing just happened. Now, I've been in the North a little over eight years and I've seen some weird things and heard some even weirder stories. The sewage truck just came....funny enough just as it is. Normal "sucking sewage out of your tank" sounds occur. THEN, for some reason know only perhaps to the sewage gods, the toilet starts emitting a very odd sound, difficult to describe. The suction from that sewage truck must be surely something. Not only did the truck suck all the "Yuck" from the tank, but it also sucked all the water out of the pipe leading to the porcelain throne and then, not yet satiated, all the water in the toilet bowl as well. Yup, I opened the toilet lid just in time to see the last of the water disappear down the toilet. Perhaps you had to be there to witness it, but it was pretty darn funny. I'm sure there is more than one joke in this that probably shouldn't see the light of day on this blog. It was just plain funny as........

** Yes, I know the title is perhaps a bit suggestive but I've been laughing so hard at what I just saw that I am incapable at the moment at coming up with anything better. Mea Culpa.

9 comments:

Kennie said...

that is farkin' hilarious! The water sure ain't sucked out of my toilet or pipes leading to the throne .... perhaps it's time for your roommie to make a trip to the roof to do some defrosting of the pipes?

And hey, at least your floor doesn't vibrate as the poo is being sucked out by the poop truck.

jen said...

You haven't had this happen yet? This happens to me all the time, when the sewage truck sucks the tank dry and the toilet. There is then direct airflow to the poop aroma, most delightful while your not home and can not re-flush to create a new water barrier. When we're out on vacation in the winter time I have people come down just to flush our toilet to refill the water in the bowl, as so the fumes don't kill our helpless kitties lol. I think it has something to do with some pipe on your roof getting frozen shut.

Way Way Up said...

I think this is the first time I've seen it happen although I've certainly smelled it when its happened a few times at work and a couple of the other places I lived in in the past. The water seems to have rebounded back all by itself though. Grief I just admitted to opening my toilet lid and staring at it twice in one evening. I really need to take up a new hobby.

Ah that little vent on the roof.....so quiet and seemingly unobtrusive, seems to be making itself known. Funny that my housemate and I were talking just yesterday about how we should get up on the roof in the very near future and poor some hot water down that vent.

Kennie said...

Don't forget to defrost mine while your up there :-)

Meandering Michael said...

Ugh. I always hated when the honey wagon guys over-sucked. What an awful smell...

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

That happened to our house all the time!! The cats would race to watch the water leave the toilet bowl. The poor cats though if the truck came early and we weren't home until supper time.... they acted as though they were dying from the smell! I sure don't miss that at all!

Way Way Up said...

Funny how I managed to blog about politicians AND sewage over the course of the same evening.

..and I'm sure we'll take care of that vent sometime before I'm off to Iqaluit. I don't handle ladders well so I'll probably get the other neighbor to do that.

Tina said...

Oh I remember that well. Running through the house to flush the toilet and run water in the tub. At least poor Rob doesn't need to thaw that vent anymore!

UnkleB said...

I guess you don't want to be sitting on the throne reading the latest aircraft magazine when this happens ;-)