Thursday, November 13, 2008

Killer Snakes

I had completely forgotten about these pictures until my Uncle Brian emailed them to me earlier this evening. My parents' house in Ontario backs onto a wooded lot on the edge of town, meaning that when I visit I can count on seeing wildlife that isn't a stray cat or a dead raccoon. Anyhow, as you can tell from the one picture below the wells around the basement windows are pretty deep and sometimes smaller critters get stuck in them. I'm sure this garter snake didn't mind being down among the leaves though. Small food items like tiny frogs also wind up in there sometimes.

So sinister-looking...


I volunteered to rescue this little guy simply so that he wouldn't fall victim to my parents' dachshunds. (They love snakes! They are like wiggly spaghetti to them.) What I hadn't counted on was how much fight this little guy had in him. I knew he couldn't hurt me but the way he coiled and lunged before I could get hold of him was a tad unnerving. But hey, we don't have snakes here in Nunavut so I'm sure my jittery-ness can be forgiven.



I am reminded of the garter snakes in Wood Buffalo National Park from my Fort Smith days. The deep karst formations in the park make a perfect habitat for them. The snake colony there is the northern-most one in Canada. The snakes are a slightly different breed of garter snake than the ones found in Ontario. Their exact name escapes me at the moment. Anyhow, a sure sign of spring in Fort Smith was when the snakes would surface out of their dens to engage in a giant coiling ball of spring-time um...."snake love"/baby-making activity. (Oh the weird search words my stat counter will pick up now.)

In other news, I took care of my soccer team's travel fees this afternoon (thank God for plastic) and I will be taking part in a coaching clinic next weekend here in town. Just in time for the tournament. Purrrrr-fect!

7 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

ahahah snake loving! Yep, that will bring out the freaks to your blog!

Way Way Up said...

Boy will they be disappointed!

Ferry Tales said...

That snake is adorable! Way to go for saving it!

Anonymous said...

You failed to mention how each and every man there that day jumped like little girls when you flung that snake into the vacant lot next door!!! Ha! Ha!

Way Way Up said...

Well aren't we a manly bunch!

Alex said...

no way! A guy here in Simpson who used to live in Smith for a while was just talking about how freaky that big ball o snake lovin was during Spring there...but I only half believed him. But now, it's undeniable! I'll believe anything that's in blog form. ANYTHING.

Unkle B said...

that must be Amber with the "anonymous" posting, BTW I was too busy taking the pics to worry about anything else, but at least your gloves kept you safe!
rescued 2 of the critters here at work the other day and put them in the ravine where they would be safe.