Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hungarian Highlights - Part 8 (Keszthely)

Link to Part 7

Keszthely (Kest-hay) was a pretty town that dominates the western shore of Lake Balaton. Originally, I believe the town sprang up to help support a Roman fort which was built a few kilometres to the south. Regrettably, I wasn't able to see the remains of the fort, but the town was home to a pretty impressive palace where I spent much of my time.

14th Fransiscan Church. The tower and steeple are a late 19th century add-on. The Church survived the Turkish incursions in the 16th century.


The Festetics Palace, dating from the mid-18th century, dominates the north end of the town.











Lake Balaton was a vacation highlight. It is home to many species of birds and motorboats are banned. You can drive the northern shore from Keszthely to Veszprem in about an hour (or a little over 2 hours by bus as I did). The scenery is some of the most stunning in all of Hungary in my opinion and I highly recommend it.





2 comments:

canadianinclogs said...

Love all the pictures! I really need to get to Hungry one of these days.

Way Way Up said...

Initially, Hungary wasn't anywhere near the top of my list of places to visit. It doesn't have the same romantic appeal of say France or Italy. But now that I've been there I definitely see myself returning some day in the future.