Monday, November 24, 2008

Because Narwhals Just Aren't All Cute and Cuddly Like Baby Seals

Arctic Bay is not very far (relatively speaking for Nunavut) from the neighboring community of Pond Inlet, where, at the moment, there is a narwhal cull taking place. Funny, for all the stink Greenpeace raises during the Spring seal hunt, I don't see hide nor hair of them now. It must be the cold keeping them away I'm sure. It's much easier to throw stones from the warm confines of a southern metropolis than to, say, travel up here and help out. Or....maybe it's just that narwhals don't tug at the emotional heart strings in quite the same way that those adorable little white coats do.

Nah, it's got to be the weather.

5 comments:

Kiggavik said...

I saw a picture and short video yesterday of the Narwhal. Incredible how tiny the hole is, basically the Narwhal are packed together, only their heads out, fighting for space. Tragic really, but at least Pond and DFO are doing something about it.

Megan said...

I think narwhals are much cuter than seals, to be honest. You don't know any reporters we could recruit for a re-branding exercise, do you?

Ferry Tales said...

I think this calls for a blog post of my own. I hope you don't mind me stealing your thunder!
Thanks for putting this out there... I hadn't even read about it yet. And I completely agree with you on the Greenpeace stuff.

Aida said...

i guess Greenpeace dont hv that money..lol I thought for sure they were going to bash the shooting of the polar bears but I am glad the event came and passed like it was just another day.

Jackie S. Quire said...

I don't know dude, I just saw Happy Feet last weekend, and Narwhales look WAAAAY cuter than that viscious thing.