Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What If There Was An Earthquake but Nobody Noticed?

Apparently there was an earthquake early this morning. It was too far away and too deep in the earth to be felt here but such occurrences are not all that unusual from what I have learned. We had an event similar to this a couple years ago if I recall correctly. We don't have major fault zones here along the lines of say the San Andreas Fault in California but there are enough smaller cracks in the earth's crust up here to cause a little shake, rattle and roll from time to time. Helps keep me on my toes.

4 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I would like to see a natural disaster in person. We really don't get anything up here. Although, I guess some people would consider long winters with snow and little sun to be natural disasters! I think I must have been some crazy ass storm chaser in another life. I am drawn to those things on the news like a magnet.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

We were in Halifax for Hurricane Juan. It was an experience for sure.

Way Way Up said...

Kara - I forgot to mention in my post that the only earthquake was a short 2-3 second jolt about 10 years ago in Windsor, Ontario

Rob and Tina - That was Juan heck of a storm from what I've been told.

Alex said...

I don't know if I should acknowledge that pun-tacular post above me....

I was in Halifax for Juan and White Juan (the 100cm of snow in a day blizzard) and it was definitely a hell of a time. Everyone just kind of wandered around the streets for days at a time wondering what was happening....very surreal.