Thursday, October 16, 2008

Okay, The Truth Is...

...I've developed an addiction to travel. Or at the very least, an addiction to travel books. I swear by Lonely Planet. They just work best for me and the type of solo adventuring I love. They've been a constant companion the past couple summers, never far from arm's reach. A few weeks back I ordered a few travel books to peruse through the dark season. Some countries will surely become future travel destinations - other books, just a great read. Regardless, I was pretty pumped when my order arrived earlier in the week.

4 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

I vote for Greenland and the Trans Siberian Railway!!

Way Way Up said...

I actually had a good read through the Siberian one this afternoon. That trip, if it happened, won't be for awhile. I'd love to go but I'm not keen on navigating through all the paperwork I'm sure would be required to get a travel visa. With luck, by the time I get there, the Ruskies will have cleared that hurdle out of the way.

The Arctic one mentions Nunavut so it was one of the reasons for picking it up. Iqaluit and Cape Dorset are in there but no mention of Arctic Bay. I may just see if I can get the editors to include Arctic Bay in a future edition.

Anonymous said...

I love Loney Planet travel guides too. I am familiar with the format so it's easy to pick one up anytime. But I recently been loving Eye Witness travel guides Yeah it's more picture format but still very informative.

And have you ever seen BBC's travel series with Michael Palin (the former Monty Python guy)? They're great. You can get them on amazon.ca. A bit expensive but worth the watch. Maybe someone can get you a set for Christmas?

Way Way Up said...

I have seen Palin's travel series, Anonymous, or at least a good chunk of it. I have a few other travel books in my small but growing connection, but prefer Lonely Planet. They haven't gotten me lost yet.

I'm looking forward to the day I'm brave enough to ditch the travel guides altogether and plunge right on in.