Friday, October 10, 2008

Nunavut Votes 2008 - Quttiktuq Riding

Lost in the bru-ha-ha of the current federal election here and the circus election that appears to be occurring simultaneously down in the United States is the fact that an election campaign is also underway here in Nunavut to elect the territory's 3rd Legislature. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Nunavut uses a consensus-style of government. Elections here, particularly outside of Iqaluit, tend to be a lot more muted. No fancy election signs, publicity stunts or volunteer armies here.

My riding of Quttiktuq takes in the communities of Arctic Bay, Resolute Bay and Grise Fiord, making it the northernmost constituency in the territory. On October 27, voters here will choose between two candidates. I'd like to take a moment and tell you about Ron Elliott, candidate for Quttiktuq riding.**

As this recent article from Nunatsiaq News explains, Ron is running against a well-known incumbent, a cabinet minister no less. But I've always known Ron as a man that takes on challenges. I've known Ron for 3 years. He was one of the first people I met when I transferred here. Ron is very involved with the youth in our community and it shows. He played a big role in bringing in the Hip Hop group that I mentioned in a post from yesterday. He is the commanding officer of our army cadets corps, he's involved with Nunavut Youth Consulting and the CAP (Community Access Program) Site at the college. In the past he's been active on the District Education Authority, the drug and alcohol education committee and the recreation committee. Lately, I've seen him around town teaching driving lessons in his own vehicle. Ron also has a great sense of humor, he's easily approachable and I can't count the number of times I've gone to him seeking advice on how to deal with students at the school or how to approach certain situations that arise. He has been an instructor here at the Nunavut Arctic College campus for the past few years as well. As Ron mentioned to me and as the above-mentioned article also points out, Ron is big on getting out the youth vote, something I also believe in very strongly.

Because our riding includes two other communities and because airfare costs are pretty insane this far north, getting your message out is a big challenge for any candidate in this constituency. With luck the weather will not prevent him from visiting the other two communities before the election rolls around. (We haven't had any flights in or out in about a week now.) So, by a remote chance, if you happen to live in Resolute or Grise Fiord, or have friends or family from there, pass the word: a vote for Ron Elliott is a good choice. Successful or not, Ron will continue to play an important role in our community and I feel privileged to know the man.

**NONE of the information presented here was gained as a result of my employment. I am only discussing my personal acquaintance with the candidate and why I feel he would make a good representative.

2 comments:

Kate Nova said...

I've met Ron on a few occasions and have encountered many of his fans along the way as well.
He seems to be a committed, engaged educator and community member, and it would be nice to see that reflected in the polls on Oct. 27.

Way Way Up said...

Ron has to be the first guy I've met running for political office who doesn't come across as fake and robotic.

We are having both candidates into the school next week to speak to our high school student. Knowing how I like to run my mouth about political matters, I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep my mouth shut.

:)