Thursday, October 02, 2008

Nunavut Blogs

An on-line conversation with a fellow blogger a couple days back (no, not THAT blogger, a nice one) got me to thinking about how blogging has really blossomed here over the past 2-3 years. I got curious about which of our blogs was older. I thought she had mine beat by a few days but I found out when I went back to check that I had about a two-and-a-half month start on hers. Of course, the first blog I discovered was Clare's blog which got me thinking about getting into blogging in the first place. I found Clare's through a simple web search shortly after my transfer here. I wanted to see what else I could find out about the community here so discovering "Arctic House" was a godsend. Toward the end of the school year, March 2006, I decided to start my own blog as a way to keep in touch with family back in Ontario. It also serves as a vent (although a controlled one) for my frustrations and a way to have my say. Judging from the number of posts from last month, evidently I had a lot to say. Hopefully some of it was important.

At the time there were precious few blogs I was aware of, though I did discover a few through "Arctic House" which of course I linked to my own. The earliest ones I can remember were Townie Bastard, The Adventures of Matt and Kara , and Nunablog. Townie is still going strong, Matt and Kara continue to blog from Yukon, and while Nunablog has now returned to Ontario, look for updates to come. Shortly before I headed home that summer, I discovered Newnavut Newbie , originally out of Rankin Inlet and now in Iqaluit.

Somehow, through Clare's blog I think, I came across Jen of Nunavut (fantastic photography here!). I suppose it wasn't until the Nunie Awards this past January I believe that it seemed the northern blogging community really exploded (at least from my humble perspective). My blog roll now boasts blogs from communities all over Nunavut and the other two territories as well. Some I read on a regular basis and others less so although they are all interesting and unique.

I should also add that even though Nunavut encompasses about 20% of Canada's land mass, in terms of the human element it is a very small place. Excluding Kendra and Clare, who both live on the same road as me, actually, I can say that I have managed to meet and put a face to a handful of fellow bloggers from around this vast territory of ours. Be sure to check them out.....er.....the blogs, that is.

4 comments:

Jackie S. Quire said...

It's funny you write this today. I started writing this long comment about how it's relevant to my life, but I don't want to take up your entire comment section.

Instead I'm going to post it on my blog. Hope that's okay.

http://rankin-inlet.blogspot.com/2008/10/friends-in-far-places.html

Matthew and Michele said...

There was a trip to Arctic Bay coming up that had to do with work. I had to turn it down because it got rescheduled to the second week of my holidays.

I was really looking forward to the chance to meet my fellow bloggers in the area.

Very disappointing but there will be another time I'm sure.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Don't forget about little ole me way down here in Sk! Although we are not in the Territories anymore, we are still Northern bloggers at heart! When we first found out we were moving up here, we found Jaime's blog, and from there found Kara and Jen. Then it just snowballed from there. :)

Way Way Up said...

Jackie - Post away.

Matthew & Michele - That's too bad. But as you say, there will be other times, indeed!

Rob, Tina and the Boys - Haven't forgotten ya's down there. I loved my year in SK! Plus, you were the first NWT blog I bumped into, courtesy of Jaime too if I recall correctly.