Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mark Your "X"

After all the rhetoric and nastiness of the past 5 weeks, it all boils down to an "X". I cast my vote on my way home. Tonight Monty, Kendra and I are having an election party of sorts, just a quiet get-together to view the carnage. We're all glued to the TV, watching the results as they come in. It's a bit raucous at times depending on which way the numbers go but very civil all-round. My apologies if this post comes across as choppy and incoherent. I'm typing this post, watching the TV results and conversing with my colleagues simultaneously and as my mother would tell you, I'm horrid when it comes to multi-tasking.

I've resigned myself to the fact that my party of choice will fall short of a majority but then it doesn't look like any party will reach the magic 155-seat mark. For the first time since I've voted in any election, the person I voted for may actually a) get elected and b) belong to the party in power. This is something I've never had happen so it's nice to feel that in some small way, my vote may actually mean something this time. So we shall see.

In other election news, the territorial one, we had both candidates for our riding in this morning to speak with our high school students. Since all candidates here run as independents, I find the "debates" are more like "discussions" and consequently, they are much more palatable. So in just under two more weeks, residents of Nunavut will head to the polls again.

I love politics, but I have to admit, I will be glad when this is all over.

0 comments: