Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm At A Loss

There's been a reason why I haven't spent much time in the past while discussing work. Generally I try to keep my professional life and personal life separate. In a small community, where you are often defined by your job, this can be a tricky thing. Another reason for this is because this school year has been difficult. I get tired of having to make difficult decisions and getting jumped on for them. Today, I was jumped....literally. A situation arose where I had to physically intervene to ensure the safety of a female student and another colleague. A male student then took it upon himself to use me as his personal punching bag. At the moment, my face looks a little like a Halloween mask although I can assure you all that I should heal up quickly. Its actually not as scary as it looks.....other than a sore arm and a nasty cut to the nose...and a pounding headache.

Ironically, this incident took place as we were having an elder into the school to speak with our junior and senior high students about issues of respect and why you shouldn't punch holes in walls. Before I go further, I think its important to add that the majority of students I work with are good students. I feel deeply saddened that their education is being dragged down by a small group of terrorists. There are other issues I would like to comment on but much as I would like I realize that it would not be appropriate to do so so I will leave it at that.

So tonight I'm a) frustrated, b) a little sore and c) a little angry. Now I know its probably not the smartest of ideas to blog when you are a) frustrated b) sore and c) a little angry, but I need a small vent. I need to go into the school briefly in the morning to handle some paperwork but otherwise, I plan to take the remainder of the week off to reflect, gather my thoughts and perhaps make some important decisions about my personal and professional future.

8 comments:

Matt, Kara and Hunter said...

Holy crud Darcy! That is scary stuff.

So what happens to the student? Can you press charges?

Jennith said...

I'm sorry to hear that you 've been caught in the crossfire. I remember how shaken up I was when I was working as a Student Foot Patrol and I was accidently knocked over while hauling a younger team member out of a dangerous situation. I can't imagine how I would have felt if someone had hit me intentionally. More than shaken I'm sure - hope you are okay and have a healthy reflect

Karan said...

Given what you've just described, I am surprised at the restraint you've shown. There is so much responsibility placed on the shoulders of teachers, and much of it goes beyond the job description. On top of being teachers, you and your colleagues are social workers, counsellors, friends, career advisors and parents, all rolled into one. My kids' teachers regularly send e-mails to parents after 10:00 p.m. and I know that they work well past that hour getting ready for the next day. And they're always "on" and "up".

Hang in there.

Kate Nova said...

That sucks, big time. I'm really sorry.

Jackie S. Quire said...

I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this, that hasn't already been said... so I'm going to go with the "quantity vs. quality" deal.

Sorry to hear the situation is "getting to you" - though I'msure it would have gotten to anyone in your situation.

If it's time to consider other things, well that's too bad, but I think you've done a great job to date.

Don't lose hope!

jen said...

HOLY F#$%!!!!
I hope your alright!! That's just awful! No one should have to feel physically threatened in their work place (or anywhere else for that matter). It's important you take a photo of your injuries at least for your own personal reference.

Clare said...

Hope you're alright Darcy. Now I know why I saw you on your steps this afternoon, I panicked thinking school was closed and I dropped Travis off at an empty school.

I hope that the school and DEA will deal with it appropriately.

Way Way Up said...

Thanks to all. Things are going peachy-fine at the moment. The situation is resolving itself nicely.