Monday, October 20, 2008

Graduation 2008

Tonight our school held its graduation ceremony. I am especially proud of our grads. They are to be commended for their hard work and determination. Graduation is tough. Graduating high school in a small isolated community is even tougher given all the extra obstacles that need to be overcome. This graduation was special for me in that this is the first one during my time here where I have taught courses to all of the graduates. It's been a true privilege and pleasure to have worked with these young people and I wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

Graduating class of 2008. We had a total of 5 grads, but one was working down in Iqaluit and unfortunately, couldn't make the ceremony.


The stage is set.


Every graduation starts with the ceremonial lighting of the qulliq (traditional stone lamp). Qaapik, our eldest elder, does the honours.


Our grads.


Our grads on stage.


This art work was made during the recent hip hop workshop I mentioned a few posts back. It reads 'sapiliqtailigit' if I've read my syllabics rights, meaning 'never give up'.


The cake, courtesy of Clare.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of my grandmother.

Ida

Way Way Up said...

Me too Ida. I'm pretty sure I included it in a few shots I sent off the NewsNorth so look for it in the next paper or the following one.

Anonymous said...

Ok. Thank you.

Ida