Monday, October 27, 2008

And I Thought That Char Got Chopped!

Well election coverage has just wrapped up. It took some time for the results to come in from the smaller communities. One thing that amazed me was the number of incumbents that went down to defeat. I count 10 new members to the 3rd Legislature. A few cabinet ministers went down to defeat as well. I take all this as a sign that people are looking for change. Speaking of change, I saw that in my own riding of Quttiktuq. Ours was one of the last ridings to report final results but it looks like Ron Elliott has won the seat - by a mere 8 votes. I have to admit I was sweating it out over the last hour so I'm glad I can breathe now. My little sign just might have made a difference. Who knew? The last riding I lived in saw the incumbent returned by just 6 votes. Yikes! At this rate, no politician will want me in their riding. Apparently, I'm a scarier guy than I thought.

Now technically the election process isn't over yet, a couple byelections are still to come and then it will be a few more weeks before a Premier and Cabinet are decided. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a couple of recounts. But if tonight is any indication, change is definitely in the air.

2 comments:

Alex said...

this isn't entirely related to your current posting...but do you know of any other Fort Smith bloggers? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an alternative to yours, but I was speaking with a Smith resident who is a follower of northern blogs today and neither of us could think of another Smith blogger. Since you are a former resident of Smith...I thought you would be a good person to ask.
Anywho...still enjoying your blog as usual. Take care!

Way Way Up said...

No worries at all Alex. Actually I'd love to find out about an FS blogger myself. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any nor do I recall any from my stint there (2000-01) At the time, internet was just dial up. I used my housemate's desktop and it was always painfully slow. If you do come across any FS bloggers, please let me know. I'd love to catch the news from my old stomping ground.